Here is a checklist outlining the basics of hanging holiday lights to make the process easy, quick and safe. Hang them on a warm day & work from the roof down.
1. Measure the area & purchase the # of feet of indoor/outdoor LED light strands you will need: the front roofline (measure along the ground below the roof); around the front door; front windows; porch railing or any other areas you want to light.
2. Gather the tools: extension ladder, stepladder, plastic light clips &/or zip ties, retractable tape measure, medium or heavy-duty outdoor extension cords, timer/s.
3. Inspect & test the strands, then clamp them into the clips every 6-10”. I suggest LEDs as they use less power BUT do not mix LEDs with incandescent strands on the same circuit!
4. Clamp the clips onto the gutters, eaves or siding . Zip ties work great for railings. Be sure to end with a MALE plug. Connect it to an extension cord and plug that into an outdoor outlet either on a timer or controlled by a light switch or app.
5. Add accent lighting—solar lighting and projection spotlights.
Best Overall: Everglow Clear White Wire Light Set-Amazon
Best LED: TaoTronics LED Lights w Remote Control-Amazon
Best Solar: Lalapao Solar String Lights-Amazon
Best Budget: Home Accents Clear Light Set-Home Depot
Best Projection Spotlight: 1byone Magical Laser Light-Amazon
20+ years of residential experience.